Whether you have a cat or a dog that likes to reach up high - having flowers or plants can be cause for worry - if your pet is a frequent muncher.
Here's a list of the top toxic and non-toxic flowers and how to recognise the signs of plant poisoning in your pets. For a complete list however, visit the RSPCA's site.
Top Non-Toxic FlowersAster
*Lilies (safe for dogs but toxic to cats)
Image: Ash Elizabeth
Top Toxic Plants and FlowersAloe Vera
Baby’s Breath (toxic to dogs but safe for cats)
Birds of Paradise
Mother in Law’s Tongue/Snake Plant
How To Recognise The Signs Of Plant Poisoning In Pets
If you're worried your cat or dog has chewed on the Tulips call your vet straight away. They'll let you know how best to proceed. Some signs of poisoning can include:
- Weakness & Lethargy
We hope this helps inform your next flower purchase! A lot of pets aren't a worry when it comes to chewing the plants, but puppies and kittens particularly get into everything and some never outgrow it! Keep this in mind if that's your pupper or kitten.